Next week, Baltimore will be tested. They will be tested because thousands of thirsty homebrewers will arrive for the 2016 American Homebrewers Association Homebrew Con. So take heed Baltimore, you will shortly have a ridiculous amount of hairy, plaid wearing, thirsty homebrewers arriving. The national Homebrew Con is undoubtedly a great time. As a previous attendee, it was a fantastic experience both in regards to learning and socializing.
5 Tips to Survive Homebrew Con
- Plan accordingly. You will be drinking…a lot. Plan accordingly by staying hydrated with water that does not contain malt and hops aka not beer. Drink plenty of water throughout the event which will allow you to maintain your stamina during the event. Homebrew Con is like a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t be that guy or gal that carbed up too much pre-race and only made it 1 mile in.
- Pass the beer. Be a good fellow homebrewer and pass the beer when it is served during sessions. Don’t pour for the 13 people sitting around you, pour yourself one, chug it and then re-pour yourself another. Bad move bro. Bad move. Take the pitcher, pour yourself an appropriate sample and keep it moving. I don’t know how many times I saw people essentially down a pitcher of beer amongst the people around them only to leave the rest of the row thirsty.
- Learn Something. The Homebrew Con is a fantastic opportunity to drink some fantastic beer in addition to learn from fellow homebrewers and professional brewers. Don’t miss out. I have sat in sessions on barrel aging, yeast propagation, brewery efficiencies and even a cider session despite the fact I have never brewed a cider. All the sessions are fantastic and offer something for everyone. Don’t be the guy or gal that has visited the Expo 57 times without having attended a single session.
- Support Club Night. This is by far one of the best times to be had at Homebrew Con. Fellow AHA homebrew clubs are pouring some of the best beer to be had. I still dream about the one sour raspberry beer I had at club night. This is a fantastic experience to support fellow homebrewers, sample a variety of beer and just have a great time!
- Don’t Forget your Damn Glass! Seriously, you are at a damn beer conference. Can you think of a worse scenario than not having a vessel in which to enjoy the last bottle of a barrel aged Russian imperial stout that has been aged for 3 years by John Palmer? Exactly. Get your life together and ensure your glass is with you at all times. Drink up sucka!
If you are headed to Homebrew Con, have a blast! It will for sure be an event that you will never forget. Cheers!